Friday 4 February 2011

Introduction

In an ideal world, everybody would enjoy working. They would do something they love, or they would learn to love what they do. Instead of dreading Monday, people would look forward to it. Instead of struggling through the day, they would look up at the end of the day and wonder where it's gone. This is the world I want to live in. It's the world I live in, now. But not everybody does. And I think I know why.

Let me say, right now, that I find my work fascinating. I get to work with interesting people, interesting problems, and find creative solutions to them, every day. And it's not because of what I do. I work in IT. For a lot of people, that would be enough for their eyes to glaze over before I said another word. And I understand that. It doesn't interest them. But it does interest me. What's more, I chose to work in IT. I was at an excellent university, working toward becoming a computer science major, or a linguistics major, or some other type of major, when I realised that I wasn't all that interested in school. I loved the social activities around school; I loved living in a college town; I loved every aspect of what I was doing, except the bit that was supposed to be my primary reason for being in a college town. My entire life, I had know where I was going to university. But when I got there, I didn't know what to do with myself. So, after a year and a half of trying to want to go to class, and wanting to try harder, I left. I worked in security for a little while, temped for a little while, thought about returning to school, and then, through a friend, found a job that let me turn my hobby, playing with computers, into a profession. It hasn't always been easy, but it's always been what I wanted.

Not everybody is lucky enough to find their passions first thing out of school. My writing, at the moment, will largely be about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment